Wednesday 17 February 2010

Weegee


While I was looking for interesting articles for my project I came across this article about the infamous Weegee. I found it extremely interesting, learning how this photographer was so passionate about his work he would carry a police radio with him at all times, trying to find a story. He loved to stage his images too, he asked a model and an art student to ‘make love’ at the cinema, trying to capture real life in a ‘real’ situation. I think his idea of working is superb: Especially all those years ago. He inspires me to create a situation to capture and maybe I can incorporate this into my work?!

 

Weegee was the alias of Arthur Fellig (June 12, 1899 – December 26, 1968), an American photographer and photojournalist, known for his stark black and white street photography.

Weegee worked in New Jersey as a press photographer, and he developed his signature style by following the city's emergency services and documenting their activity. Much of his work depicted unflinchingly realistic scenes of urban life, crime, injury and death.

Weegee published photographic books and also worked in cinema, initially making his own short films and later collaborating with film directors such as Jack Donohue and Stanley Kubrick.

“His nickname was earned because of his eerie ability to appear at the scene of the crime within moments – as if he was using an Ouija board. But in fact he traveled with a police-band short wave radio.”

No comments:

Post a Comment